#1. It should cause no little thought that the first sin registered in the early church revolved around money.
#2. Good progress today on an old project. Feels good. Working on material about conversion and the Lord’s supper.
#3. Lunch today at Anchieta with the Missus, after a quite productive morning. Did somebody say nap?
#4. An American friend who works with Embraer said today he’ll be here for a week working with the company. Usually comes a day early to be with the church.
#5. Did I show you the link to the latest new item for the office?
#6. An original verse: Courage! Speak the truth! Act for justice! / Jettison all unrighteousness and malice.
#7. A Bible verse: “Do not make friends with an angry person, and do not associate with a wrathful person, lest you learn his ways and entangle yourself in a snare” Prov 22.24-25.
#1. It’s a glib and often ignorant remark to say a deceased person is in a better place.
#2. I have salvation today, so anything else is small potatoes.
#3. Expectations are a dangerous thing and can turn into deadly weapons.
#4. Christmas Eve storm knocked out power. Christmas day spent without water. Day after, toilet had to be fixed. Merry!
#5. Missionaries sometimes spend the last weeks of the year wondering if they’re going to get a notice from supporters of terminated support.
#6. An original verse: Fire and water spill upon the earth, / Destroy the fragile human’s sovereign myth.
#7. A Bible verse: “Therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest-ready fields” Mt 9.38.
1. Got the Bible lesson for tonight at the gym printed out with fill-in-the-blanks. People seem to like that. Not my style, but if it works for most, go with it.
2. Need to get the blinds up for my office window. Afternoon sun makes it almost impossible to work.
3. Hard to find stuff after the cleaning lady rearranges my office. I spent no little time looking for books that had been on my desk. Now …
4. Time to pull out another box or two of books from the containers. Getting slow on putting them on the shelves.
5. The reason the old prophet from Bethel told the young man of God he had a message from the Lord was selfish. (See 1 Kings 13.) People make up divine communications because it’s about them.
6. An original verse: God gives his order, waits for man to obey; / In matters of faith the obedient has no say.
7. A Bible verse: “Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful” Lk 6.36.
1. Mondays are good days, but the energy level sometimes drags.
2. A good group assembled last night, and the lesson on the first family (Adam and Eve, not the US prez and wife) was well received.
3. The logic that says since God is one, all paths lead to him, is deeply flawed. Better this: God is one, and the path to him is also one—in Jesus Christ.
4. Two Christmas parties this week, one Friday night at a restaurant, the other a big barbecue on Saturday. Does anybody fast for the holidays?
5. Ever get a hankering to watch an old Perry Mason show? Were you disappointed afterwards? Most old shows do.
6. An original verse: A wealth of options makes decisions hard, / To get the choices right there’s more to discard.
7. “The Lord of Heaven’s Armies will be exalted when he punishes, the holy God’s authority will be recognized when he judges” Isaiah 5.16.